- Go to Settings.
- Locate the menu for Audio.
- Ensure that you have the correct Output Device selected:
- If you are using your computer’s output: Select Built-in Output.
- If you are using external hardware as output: Select the hardware you are using.
Some audio applications will take exclusive control of an audio device’s drivers so that other apps can’t play any sound at the same time. To disable exclusive mode:
- Right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select Open Sound settings.
- Select Sound Control Panel on the right hand side.
- Select the device you want to listen to and click Properties
- Under the Advanced tab, uncheck Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.
- Click OK to save your device’s settings.
If you are a Pro Tools user, see When is Rewire a necessity?