Your privacy is important to us. At Soundly we have a few fundamental principles:
- We don’t ask you for personal information unless we truly need it.
- We store your personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
- We will never sell our users’ private personal information.
Who We Are
Soundly 2 is a fully featured sound effects platform for Mac & PC. Find your perfect sound effect in our massive cloud library, index local sounds, and share files in the Soundly Collaboration Cloud. With a wealth of features and a friendly interface, Soundly makes you a better and happier editor!
How you Can Reach Us
- Company Name:
- Soundly AS
- E-mail Address:
- Country of Operation:
- Phone Number:
- +47 932 94 327
- Mailing Address:
- Frøyas gate 2, 0273 Oslo, Norway
What This Policy Covers
- Our websites (including getsoundly.com)
- Our software (including all versions of Soundly for Mac and PC)
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so – for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to Us:
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information
- We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your Soundly account and receive small amounts of email news from us. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a Soundly account to provide a name and email address – and that’s it.
- Transaction and Billing Information
- If you purchase a Soundly subscription plan you will need to provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your credit card information, VAT number, and contact information. All credit card information is transmitted directly to, and stored with, Stripe.com without touching our servers.
- Communications With Us
- You may also provide us information when you communicate with our team about a support question.
Information We Collect Automatically:
- Usage Information
- We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the actions that administrators and users perform, such as what searches are most popular, and what files are exported from Soundly. This is in the interest of our users since it gives us valuable insight into what audio material interest them.
- Location Information
- We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions.
- Pixel Tags and Other Technologies
- Pixel tags (also called web beacons) are small blocks of code placed on websites and emails. Soundly’s webpage and newsletters uses pixel tags and other technologies to help us identify and track visitors, usage, and access preferences for our Services, as well as track and understand email campaign effectiveness.
How And Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information:
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Services – for example, to set up and maintain your account, alert you on failed payments, or charge you for any of our paid Services;
- To further develop and improve our Services–for example, by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or to aid us in discovering what sounds and features are popular.
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition–for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased a plan after receiving a marketing message or the features used by those who continue to use our Services after a certain length of time;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Soundly and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our Services;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers and promotions offered by Soundly AS, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Soundly; and
- To personalize your experience using our Services and target our marketing messages to groups of our users (for example, those who have a particular plan with us or have been our user for a certain length of time).
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information:
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws. Our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our End User Licence Agreement (found inside the Soundly Application) or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account – for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your information – for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or
- You have given us your consent
How We Share Information:
We never sell our users' private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Subsidiaries, Employees, and Independent Contractors
- Third Party Vendors
- We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us, or to provide their services to you. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, email delivery services that help us stay in touch with you, customer chat and email support services that help us communicate with you, those that assist us with our marketing efforts (e.g. by providing tools for identifying a specific marketing target group or improving our marketing campaigns), those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers). We require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
- Legal Requests
- We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others
- We may disclose information about you when we believe, in good faith, that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Soundly AS, third parties, or the public at large.
- Business Transfers
- With Your Consent
- We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information
- We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services and we may share a hashed version of your email address to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other platforms.
- Published Support Requests
- And if you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it–which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information–and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
As example, when you close your account we remove all references to your account from our database and shared services at the time of closure but we may keep references to your data in backups for up to 30 days.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks. Additionally, we take steps to secure data and encrypt data at rest, including storing credentials as salted bcrypt hashes.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
- You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, scroll up to How you Can Reach Us to, well, find out how to reach us.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
- Additional styling and formating added